Robust text detection and reading for mobile devices and desktop setups.
Exemplary application: Real-time Detection and Recognition of Machine-Readable Zones with Mobile Devices
- Real-time text detection on off-the-shelf mobile devices
- Instant character reading using custom optical character recognition with frame fusion
- No need for perfect alignment (i.e., orthogonal view)
- Continuous visual feedback for the user
Notes: The approach was developed at Graz University of Technology for Bundesdruckerei GmbH. As reported in my PhD thesis, the accuracy of character reading has been increased considerably afterward.
- A. Hartl, C. Arth and D. Schmalstieg. “Real-time Detection and Recognition of Machine-Readable Zones with Mobile Devices”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications, 2015